Saturday, August 15, 2009

Rainbow Cake

I was surfing through blogs last night and came across a post about rainbow cake and had to give it a whirl! You can find that post here. I ventured out to Walmart this morning to get the icing coloring that was needed to acheive these delightful colors and then off to Kroger to get the cake mixes and icings and such. To achieve the colors needed to make a rainbow cake regular food coloring will not work. It will leave you with pastel colored layers. I used icing color that I found in the cake decorating section of Walmart. They were around $1.50 each, but they will last a long time. I bought two white cake mixes and prepared the batter like normal. I then divided it among six small bowls. I think I ended up with about 1 1/2 cups of batter per bowl. I added my colors and mixed them well. Don't they look delightful already? Then I baked my layers two at a time in 9 inch round pans. I baked them for around 12 minutes each. You could use almost any kind of frosting you want on these, but I used cream cheese in between the layers and chocolate on the outside. Make sure each layer is trimmed so the top is flat. It makes for a less wobbly cake....although a wobbly cake would taste just as good! This is definately a blog worthy cake and it was pretty easy to make! Ya'll enjoy!


3 comments:

Rach said...

Super cool!! I love it---might have to try it!

Holley - (in)courage said...

What a fun cake! Thanks for stopping by (in)courage and sharing our button on your blog. I'm another Holley (one more and we'd be the Holly Trinity--groan, bad joke, just couldn't help myself). (:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

That's so pretty!!!! I wish I could make stuff like that! I'm SO not handy... mine would definitely be lopsided lol.