Friday, December 21, 2007

The Last Minute Toy Store

Those of you who are from middle Tennesse may have heard of the last minute toy store that the 61st Avenue United Methodist Church runs to help supply families in need with toys for Christmas. Our church has done quite a bit to help out with this project and today Brian, Kristen, and myself volunteered a few hours of our time to help out. I dont even think I can put into words the joy that this experience has brought to me, not only from volunteering myself but from seeing how much Kristen gained from it. The church gives tickets to around 325 families a day for 4 days. These folks start lining up sometimes in the middle of the night. They then must come back later in the day to "shop". They are given 3 toys per child, a piece of fruit, and a candy cane. I cannot even imagine being in their shoes, but it sure was a blessing for us to be a part of this event.

Oh and did I mention how proud I am of Kristen for sticking it out for 5 hours handing out coloring books? We estimated that we handed out close to 4000 of them this afternoon!

2 comments:

Kim said...

that is awesome!! What a great lesson to teach your children11

Kristen said...

it was great but long