Monday, October 22, 2007

Let's talk

I took the kids to eat the other night without Dad. We were all sitting enjoying our food and I thought it would be the perfect opputunity to discuss their new "chores for life". This is where I tell them what chores I have chosen for them to do forever or until I change my mind. The point of this new system is to eliminate an argument before it starts over whose turn it is to help with the kitchen clean up or whose turn it is to clean the play room. My plan was carefully thought out. I wanted to start off with one big chore each. Kristen would forever and ever be responsible for loading and unloading the dishwasher each night and Hannah would forever and ever be in charge of making sure the playroom was clean before bed each night. So this is how the conversation went down.

Mom: Hey girls I think this would be a good time to talk about something.

Kristen: Oh really, What are we gonna talk about?

Hannah: Puberty?

Mom: Not exactly what I had in mind. By the way, do you know about puberty?

Hannah: No not really.

Mom: Do we need to talk about it?

Hannah: No

Talk about people stopping what they were doing when my 8 year old pipes out with that one! So we did end up talking about chores and I am happy to say that I havent touched the dishwasher in days. It may sound cruel but I am a firm believer in making the kids help out. When Little Brian gets older he will have chores for life also.

2 comments:

Lucille said...

WOW. That is impressive. I think I touched emptied, loaded and ran MY dishwasher already today and it is 1:00 pm. Share your tips!~

I really like your blog! Keep up the good work!

Lucille
http://whosgoingtotellyou.blogspot.com/

MKB said...

WOW!
That was a big one!
I have an 8 yr old and a 10 yr old who would throw this out there JUST to put off bedtime!!

The 2 yr old is not much of a talker yet so, he is easy at bedtime!!

God bless ya for having to stave that one off - you handled it beautifully!

They say to only give them the answer to EXACTLY what they are asking - nothing more!

So, I estimate it will take me about 10 1/2 years to have "the talk" from beginning to end!!
HAHA